Search This Blog

July 14, 2010

Is open source mainstream?

The open source movement is going strong. Google is doing great things with Android and Linux is getting into the hands of more and more people.
But, does the public know about open source? Does the average person care that certain companies lock down features that they don't see fit for their hardware or software.
I was an early adopter if android on Verizon and i have to say that open source is a must for me. I have Android on my smartphone and i run Linux Ubuntu on my laptop.
Companies like Apple only want you to be able to see what they want you to see whereas companies like Google think that you should be able to do what you want with your mobile device or other product.
However, the average person may be fine with a lockdown of certain features.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.6

No comments:

Post a Comment